View Full Version : Vbchat

tim
2005-02-27, 21:52
I was thinking this would be a great idea if you could install vbchat on this board...then I could correspond with you in real time...whaddaya think?

you heard of this? or are you familiar with it?

Anyone want this here?

eclectica
2005-02-28, 02:31
Here's the thread for it at vbulletin.org:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71049

Do I want to install chat on this forum? For a number of reasons the answer is no. For one I don't want to make the place overly complex with a lot of features because I don't think that having more features is always good. Some people running forums will try to put in a lot of features for their users because either they want to please them as much as possible or they want to attract them and have them stay put without going to other sites. This place won't be as rich in features as Yahoo is, and that's okay with me. Anyways I hope people visit other sites besides this one when they connect to the internet, as it provides diversity and a fresh, healthy perspective on things. Another reason is that I like keeping the forum lightweight and not bloated with features and hacks, because it makes it easier to run the site and reduces security risks.

tim
2005-02-28, 03:14
Here's the thread for it at vbulletin.org:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71049

Do I want to install chat on this forum? For a number of reasons the answer is no. For one I don't want to make the place overly complex with a lot of features because I don't think that having more features is always good. Some people running forums will try to put in a lot of features for their users because either they want to please them as much as possible or they want to attract them and have them stay put without going to other sites. This place won't be as rich in features as Yahoo is, and that's okay with me. Anyways I hope people visit other sites besides this one when they connect to the internet, as it provides diversity and a fresh, healthy perspective on things. Another reason is that I like keeping the forum lightweight and not bloated with features and hacks, because it makes it easier to run the site and reduces security risks.

I understand..and I'm keeping on my tippy toes...notice how quickly I responded to your answer in this post..almost immediately after you posted it..let's just call it 'magic' how I am able to do that.

I thought your answer and the reasoning behind it were both very good. I suggested it because you don't like to use msn...and this is a self-contained chat system operating purely off php and mysql. You would be in complete control of the chat and able to delete anything you didn't want others to see..it even has private messaging capabilities.

I've recently registered my own forum which I have just finished installing a few skins for..if you have the time or interest to do so you can check it out here (http://members.lycos.co.uk/phantasmagorick/vbulletin/).

Criminal_Sniper
2005-03-01, 06:22
haha chat would be nice but noone would be chatting but Tim because i seem to miss him a lot :p