View Full Version : best guitar song or guitarist

eclectica
2005-02-24, 10:40
What is your favorite guitar song and who do you think is the best guitarist? My favorite guitar song is Steve Hackett - Valley of the Kings.mp3 (http://www.p2pjihad.org/eclectica/Steve Hackett - Watcher of the Skies - Valley of the Kings.mp3). As far as who my favorite guitarist is, or who I think is the best player, that is a different answer.

I'm not familiar with the work of Steve Hackett beyond what he did with Genesis. Though my favorite guitar song is played by him I do not think of him as the best guitarist. The two people that come to mind are David Gilmour from Pink Floyd and Robert Fripp from King Crimson. David Gilmour is good for those nice sounding pieces like the song Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb.mp3 (http://www.p2pjihad.org/eclectica/Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb.mp3), while Robert Fripp seems to be a more technically adept player and was more into playing on experimental type of scales. I can't think of a particular song that would be a good example of Fripp's guitar playing right at the moment. I will have to go looking through my King Crimson CDs.

slx
2005-02-24, 14:31
David Evans of U2...

i became a convert with the Joshua Tree cd from the 80's...

specifically, the tune...Where The Streets Have No Name

nicobie
2005-02-25, 01:18
I kinda like ry cooder on a 12 string

little sister..... and the like.

method77
2005-02-25, 19:07
I really can't pick out a favorite guitar tune. I like some Floyd songs, a lot of hendrix, I like what the Rage against the machine guitarist did, some blues but my favorite are those excellent Santana solos. He could -still can- play for hours and never repeat himself. Genius

other to mention: Paco de Lucia, Ry Cooder and Caetano Veloso

Criminal_Sniper
2005-02-26, 05:48
well i would agree Hendrix is up there
tom morrello i believe is RATMs guitarist
very good player

a great song on guitar is by chimaira - implements of destruction (inst.)
another great is Tool - Lateralus

im a youngin
surely old good stuff too
too much to list in any case :p

Dollar_Girl
2005-05-07, 11:31
i really don't know. i dont have a favourite guitarist. David Broza is very good in a recording i have of him playing his song bedouine love song, live. very skillfull!!!

one of my fav guitar sounds in a song is led zeppelin - going to california. that always makes me happy! it makes me feel like the sun is shining on me and makes me think of flower fields for some reason!?!

and i love the guitar in guns n roses - patience

and i really get into spanish guitar songs...

and i love those little middle eastern guitar type instruments... they always sound so mysterious and sexy, as if some hot dark haired dark skinned man is going to come sweep me off my feet lol.

eclectica
2005-05-07, 14:59
You seem to like the sound of a natural acoustic guitar instead of the electric guitar.

and i love those little middle eastern guitar type instruments... they always sound so mysterious and sexy, as if some hot dark haired dark skinned man is going to come sweep me off my feet

Here's a picture of my fantasy exotic girl playing her G string:
http://www.tatom.org/images/gstring.jpg

nicobie
2005-05-09, 03:28
You seem to like the sound of a natural acoustic guitar instead of the electric guitar.

Here's a picture of my fantasy exotic girl playing her G string:
http://www.tatom.org/images/gstring.jpg

poor thing doesn't know about going topless.

funky tan lines

Dollar_Girl
2005-05-09, 03:36
she's still hot!

Semiblind
2005-07-02, 18:55
Joe Satriani is amazing! I saw him live @ the Pier 6 Pavilion in Baltimore, it was just insane...the man totally pwns the guitar. If you wanna check out a great song or 2 by him, give a listen to 'Always with me, Always with you' or 'Flying in a blue dream'

nicobie
2005-07-04, 00:38
Try Tommy Bolin, way ahead of his time.

Another deader. Made it in LA with a couple groups. Popped off in South America. Smack.

Made 2 or 3 solo albums.