View Full Version : irving berlin said...let us all be grateful for a land so fair

slx
2005-01-30, 14:54
In a nation where convicts sleep in dry rooms, have meals and are educated for free, while good people are living on the streets, you know that the system has failed.

author unknown

and we still stand beside her and guide her
through the night with the light from above

why?

eclectica
2005-01-30, 16:11
Every time I hear politicians saying "god bless America" is bothers me for a number of reasons. One is that it is really selfish to say god bless anyone because if one were a believer that would not be a humble attitude. It ought to be blasphemous for someone to say "god bless America". Also I feel it is an excluding statement and is referring only to a Judeo-Christian god. Another problem I have is the amount of religiousness in it. I wish the leaders didn't openly display their religion and use it to score political points.

God Bless America
by Irving Berlin

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God Bless America.
Land that I love
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home.

tim
2005-01-30, 16:56
Every time I hear politicians saying "god bless America" is bothers me for a number of reasons. One is that it is really selfish to say god bless anyone because if one were a believer that would not be a humble attitude. It ought to be blasphemous for someone to say "god bless America". Also I feel it is an excluding statement and is referring only to a Judeo-Christian god. Another problem I have is the amount of religiousness in it. I wish the leaders didn't openly display their religion and use it to score political points.

It all goes back to what Crim was saying about who is in control here...God or man? Is man in control that he can say 'god bless you' or God that he can pick and choose.

Crimian you were right about one other thing too and that is and was that I put too much value in what Dollar_Girl has to say.

And I think I'm gonna leave this post alone unedited...also I truly regret destroying you here online with the hateful hurtful things I've said. I really sorry for that Crimian...if you had not have left because of that I would not have been able to leave either because I would have kept coming back here for you who was always to me a real friend.

I'm so sorry for hurting you.

-Tim

slx
2005-01-30, 17:44
Every time I hear politicians saying "god bless America" is bothers me for a number of reasons. One is that it is really selfish to say god bless anyone because if one were a believer that would not be a humble attitude. It ought to be blasphemous for someone to say "god bless America". Also I feel it is an excluding statement and is referring only to a Judeo-Christian god. Another problem I have is the amount of religiousness in it. I wish the leaders didn't openly display their religion and use it to score political points.i absolutely agree but my point may have been missed.....

in america, our priorities are somewhat twisted....the extremes we go to maintain certain panoramas of life in america, ie: the above quote, when the most important ones aren't met 1st

some times, i get very angry at america....in my mind, america is our politicians, not us

eclectica
2005-01-30, 19:51
some times, i get very angry at america....in my mind, america is our politicians, not us

I find myself angry at the United States too for the types of things that have been going on. Look at how great American leaders been in the past with people such as Jefferson and Lincoln, and now we have the worthless piece of shit who was reelected who sits in the White House.

Right after 9/11 I felt patriotic, and just three years later my regard for the country hit an all-time low. It shows how much the leaders can change the standing of a country.

Occasionally the country sees good leaders in office every 50 years or so. It is not because a good one only comes around every 50 years, but that the people only have the will to elect good leaders rarely, or it happens by accident. There are good leaders out there right now who are just not making it to office because the people would rather vote for a liar or someone who tells them what they want to hear.

nicobie
2005-01-31, 00:56
U're such a sillieboi.

If the Iraq voters were really pissed at the US, it would be their middle finger that would be dyed blue.

slx
2005-01-31, 02:22
U're such a sillieboi.

If the Iraq voters were really pissed at the US, it would be their middle finger that would be dyed blue.it ain't the blue fingers that are the prob nic....it's the bloody ones that don't vote .....you know...the ones shooting at us and blowing themselves up in our mess tents

the other faction

mass-delusion
2005-01-31, 07:13
U're such a sillieboi.

If the Iraq voters were really pissed at the US, it would be their middle finger that would be dyed blue.
... or maybe their thumb. In the Middle East, the nearest thing to the US "middle finger salute" would be the "thumbs up" (http://www.msc.navy.mil/msccent/taboos.htm) . Yes, all those US soldiers in Iraq go around giving the locals an obscene gesture all the time. ... No wonder they get shot at.

eclectica
2005-01-31, 11:31
I wasn't aware the thumbs up is obscene there.

Dollar_Girl
2005-01-31, 11:54
Since a prison is a relatively small institution, basic human rights such as shelter and food don't go neglected, as it is easier to point fingers at authority for human rights abuse. There are people hungry on the streets, walking barefoot in winter and going through rubbish bins to consume some calories, and people walk past and snigger "get a job". Perhaps if the prisons weren't so full of criminals, tax payers money would go to something more useful... like job creations, or gods forbid... decent shelters for the homeless or abused women.

I was watching some American TV show last week, called "the biggest loser", which is about obese people who are competing to lose weight. I just watched this short guy, who was like over 300 pounds, getting weighed... and i just couldnt' believe the amount of money that gets spent on utter shit... how many millions go into new years fireworks celebrations, or award ceremonies for celebrities... even charity events attended by the rich and famous, raising money for the "less fortunate" are just another posh party for them to attend. They pay 1500 hundred per head for a dinner, but look at what they get served... gourmet food that costs more per head than my entire jewellry collection... wine that costs more per bottle than my entire clothes collection... why don't they pay 1500 hundred per head to NOT eat so that the money actually goes to charity? If 200 people attend a charity ball at 1500 dollars a head, that would raise 300,000... if all that money actually went to charity, and wasn't spent on wine and caviar, i wonder how many kids that could vaccinate against something as common as measles.
Children in Africa die of measles or diohrea, they live on less than 500 calories a day... their governments preffer to buy guns than to invest in the wellbein of their people...kids in cambodia get their legs blown off by mines when they dare venture out into the grass areas.

priorities have always been disorganised. it's usually the innocent that get the bitter end of the deal. Who's fault is it? Is it the government for stupid distribution of funding? is it the homeless mans for being a bum and not working? is it the kids fault coz they ran away from home to live on the street? is it the mothers fault for being a crack addict? is it the celebrities for creating an exclusive club of extreme luxury? Who needs a 15 million dollar mansion anyway? Why does a celebrity couple need a 40 room mansion? Why does a single mother live in a one bedroom unit with her 4 kids? who is more corrupt? the government or the people living under the authority?

slx
2005-01-31, 13:46
is it time for another australia?

with todays technology and a little direction from japan, we could build a new island and send all the bad guys there.

allow them to self rule to keep the population in check

mass-delusion
2005-01-31, 22:05
I wasn't aware the thumbs up is obscene there.

What's even worse is that the hand signal US soldiers use at roadblocks to tell people to stop means to Iraqis something like "goodbye, have a nice day" - then the poor people get shot to death when they think they are being told to drive on. I've also seen photos where roadblocks have a US 'stop sign' painted on a board, as if Arabs are supposed to instinctively know what that means. It's amazing - all the huge numbers of people who have been murdered just because these dumb soldiers never took the time to ask what the local customs and conventions are. But then maybe many of these soldiers are not aware that not everyone in the world understands English, judging by how many are killed for "refusing orders".

mekajinn
2005-02-06, 14:01
Since a prison is a relatively small institution, basic human rights such as shelter and food don't go neglected, as it is easier to point fingers at authority for human rights abuse. There are people hungry on the streets, walking barefoot in winter and going through rubbish bins to consume some calories, and people walk past and snigger "get a job". Perhaps if the prisons weren't so full of criminals, tax payers money would go to something more useful... like job creations, or gods forbid... decent shelters for the homeless or abused women.

I was watching some American TV show last week, called "the biggest loser", which is about obese people who are competing to lose weight. I just watched this short guy, who was like over 300 pounds, getting weighed... and i just couldnt' believe the amount of money that gets spent on utter shit... how many millions go into new years fireworks celebrations, or award ceremonies for celebrities... even charity events attended by the rich and famous, raising money for the "less fortunate" are just another posh party for them to attend. They pay 1500 hundred per head for a dinner, but look at what they get served... gourmet food that costs more per head than my entire jewellry collection... wine that costs more per bottle than my entire clothes collection... why don't they pay 1500 hundred per head to NOT eat so that the money actually goes to charity? If 200 people attend a charity ball at 1500 dollars a head, that would raise 300,000... if all that money actually went to charity, and wasn't spent on wine and caviar, i wonder how many kids that could vaccinate against something as common as measles.
Children in Africa die of measles or diohrea, they live on less than 500 calories a day... their governments preffer to buy guns than to invest in the wellbein of their people...kids in cambodia get their legs blown off by mines when they dare venture out into the grass areas.

priorities have always been disorganised. it's usually the innocent that get the bitter end of the deal. Who's fault is it? Is it the government for stupid distribution of funding? is it the homeless mans for being a bum and not working? is it the kids fault coz they ran away from home to live on the street? is it the mothers fault for being a crack addict? is it the celebrities for creating an exclusive club of extreme luxury? Who needs a 15 million dollar mansion anyway? Why does a celebrity couple need a 40 room mansion? Why does a single mother live in a one bedroom unit with her 4 kids? who is more corrupt? the government or the people living under the authority?

that really is an excellent post... i especially liked the bit bout the food and wine...

only thing is that all u ever do is go on about what lovely food u have eaten etc. why don't YOU go eat McDonalds or KFC and ask ur BF to give the saving he made to a charity?

well?

ur sentiments are admirable... but ur as hypocritical as the rest of the human race when it comes to this crap... i mean how many times did u say to me that i should get "a proper job"?

ur lack of self knowledge turns ur admirable sentiment into worthless drivel. You talk the talk... and then drone on about octopus or some other fancy restaurant shit... just another human being who lies to themselves in order to placate the guilt... the justified guilt of their pampered and priveledged position.

Really tho... ur post was awesome... shame that ur slowly being blinded by the corruption of life as an 'adult' in the capitalist world. At least i can see the absolute comedy in it now, rather than getting pissed off lol...

edit... btw, u look at the cost of these charity dinners and talk about how it's more per head than ur entire wardrobe... which is fair comment.

but i ask u this... how much is ur modest restaurant meal in comparison to the wages of an Ethopian peasant? So if an Ethopian had access to the net perhaps they would be posting about the ridiculous decadence of people eating in a restaurant and spending maybe AU$100... which is probably equivilent to their monthly salary lol...

it's all relative... i really think u need to go to university... ur reasoning and logic skills are lacking, and as for your debating skills... it's a good job ur ignoring me i suppose lol.

nicobie
2005-02-06, 23:33
Hey Mas Delusions,

I bet they have figured out the 'hand signals' by now.

Either that, or mother nature (aka lak of IQ) will be doing heavy work soon.

Dollar_Girl
2005-02-07, 04:33
is it time for another australia?

with todays technology and a little direction from japan, we could build a new island and send all the bad guys there.

allow them to self rule to keep the population in check

maybe that is the way of the future :ogre: :jihad: :hang: :priest:

nicobie
2005-02-08, 01:22
maybe that is the way of the future

lets hope