View Full Version : g-mail

slx
2004-10-12, 05:13
anyone know where i can beg an invite.....please?

sincerely yours truly....
slx

Dollar_Girl
2004-10-13, 05:28
i know our long lost pal walberg_rastafari was offering to give em away at his iagd forum? maybe get in touch there?

eclectica
2004-10-13, 12:23
They're playing hard to get. It seems to me that the company is trying to produce interest in their email through the invitation process. They could just open it up to the public but they believe that by making it invitation only, that people will value it more. It will cause some people to want it more. Perhaps they hope to win over the geeks and tech aficionados into their email, which will then give them an edge over their rivals. Is Google trying to foster a Mac type of culture? Once they capture the interest of the elites then they will open it to the public and become more Microsoft in their culture. The elites will always feel special, knowing that they were one of the first to get such an email address and will print out old emails to proudly display on their walls, the way doctors like to display their prestigious diplomas on the walls.

There are other applications which used along with the Gmail account, allow you to use it for file storage or for file transfers to other people. Read this thread at P2P Forums:
http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6324

tim
2004-10-13, 16:58
anyone know where i can beg an invite.....please?

sincerely yours truly....
slx

give me ur email address and I'll hook you up?
how many do you want?
I have two.

nanook
2004-10-13, 21:03
Man, you know you're out of the loop when you've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a good ploy though. lol.
I'll have to go check it out.

tim
2004-10-13, 23:34
There are other applications which used along with the Gmail account, allow you to use it for file storage or for file transfers to other people. Read this thread at P2P Forums:
http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6324

This is one of the neatest features of gmail. I have the gmail drive app installed and if you have a fast connection you can upload a 700mb file to your gmail account as fast as your upload capacity permits.
Then its easy to forward the file on as an attachment to another friend on their gmail account utilising googles internal servers and then your friend can download as fast as their download capacity permits..the forwarding of the 700mb to your friends gmail account after initially being uploaded by you is nearly instantaneous as its moved between their servers...similiarly to how you'd move a file from one folder to another on your harddrive.

This is why its good to have SEVERAL gmail accounts..because you don't have to delete anything you can keep whatever you want to share stored on their servers indefinitely and forward on to as many friends as ask...it may even be possilbe to set up filters that respond to certain keywords or phrases that will automatically forward a specific file or attachment to an acquaintances gmail box.

This is also the same principle I had mentioned earlier with aol's bulk email sending capabilities. The gmail drive makes it really easy to upload files to your gmail account and delete them.

You need to set up filters though to move files uploaded to your gmail account using the gmail drive to specific folder so as not to keep cluttering up your inbox when checking your mail through normal means. This is explained furthur in the documentation.

However actual sending of the files occurs by accessing gmail through the webbased page and forwarding the email with your attachment from there.

However I don't recommend gmail for private correspondence or as a replacement for a yahoo or hotmail account for obvious security reasons.

Dollar_Girl
2004-10-14, 00:16
Man, you know you're out of the loop when you've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a good ploy though. lol.
I'll have to go check it out.

don't worry, i have no clue either... despite reading threads about it at three forums. guess i'm just naturally out of the loop

nicobie
2004-10-14, 00:30
Whoo is the boss in Auz now?

slx
2004-10-14, 00:55
Whoo is the boss in Auz now?same ole, same ole

no change

nanook
2004-10-16, 09:07
Well, well. Didn't ol' raar get an invite. Hey, it was a challenge begging me to try. It paid off. So, slx, did you get yours yet? If not, when I get mine, I'll give ya one, if Tim already hasn't.
I just have to see what the fuss is all about. Plus Tim made it sound pretty good.

eclectica
2004-10-16, 09:18
Beware of Gmail phishing scams

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/000878.html

tim
2004-10-16, 14:01
Beware of Gmail phishing scams

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/000878.html

I've got 6 invites to give now...when I first accepted the two invites I originally received I was required to provide the bearer of the invitations with an email address in order to receive the invitation to use gmail. Twice I provided unique information in the form of two different email addresses each were hotmail addresses (I think).
At first I didn't do much with them. I have trouble accessing the accounts to read my email when using the latest version of internet explorer and firefox...for some reason my mouse cursor hovers over the link to 'read' my email but actually clicking the link doesn't do anything.

At any rate just letting you know the service isn't without problems and that I find it odd that of the 6 new invites I have now that it asks me to provide a first and last name for the person I'm inviting as well as an email address.

Really paranoid folks could use a disposable hotmail account I guess in order to receive one or more of these invitations.

For example I don't remember giving my first and last name out to the person(s) who gave me my invites...on the first gmail invite I received from Rickio of the zeropaid forums I gave him my spaceghost address.

My email for that account was then used in determining my gmail account.
Here's a play on that.
if by the example given above that my email address given was 'spaceghost@hotmail.com' my gmail address then became space.ghost@gmail.com.

Not sure if Rickio entered 'space' as my first name and 'ghost' as my last name or gmail divided it up like taht to BEgin with. I'll have to ask Rick to find out.

The other gmail invite I recieved was from someone else on the forum (a trusted member) and using a different hotmail account (I don't even recall the name of the second gmail account I have offhand because I don't use it that much) but it was a little differently named.

Basically folks its interesting that Internet Explorer has problems reading the emails in the account and that not even firefox can read them either..in the past it did..but that is no longer the case.

I would be interested in hearing others experiences with gmail and whether or not they had problems accessing and reading their emails using similiar type browsers.

tim
2004-10-16, 22:29
you know what's weird?
It works with the mini-browser in winamp 2.81 but not with the latest version of internet explorer 6, netscape 7.2, or the latest 1.whatever version of firefox.

It's puzzling as to why it won't work with the latest browsing accessories still running win98.

anyone have any clues?

I never really used the two accounts I had because I didn't like the google privacy policy slx warned of in another a thread which stated that the emails hosted on the sever were never deleted and could be publically browsed eventually or at least subject to scrutiny by a governing body on just the suspicion of malfeisance. :P

tim
2004-10-16, 22:42
I found this thread (http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4337) which helped.

It said to try logging into the secured site which the links for are:

https://gmail.google.com/

and

https://gmail.google.com/gmail

This worked and Ie6 was able to read the gmail (open the links on the web based html page)

it's funny tho that the minibrowser in winamp could open the links from the non-secured section of the site..but the full version of ie couldn't.

right now this is just an interesting anomaly. :p

tim
2004-10-16, 22:59
one more thing that some may find interesting. I was working with the gmail drive program and uploaded two webpages at different intervals to my gmail account using the virtual drive program.

Everything looks good in the virtual drive program..the documents appear exactly as they are supposed to appear.

When viewed from within gmail they looked like this:

GMAILFS: /The_Inferno_-_g-mail.mht with the paperclip emblem beside of the message to indicate its an attachment.

However the actual attached file is named generically part01.bin and when the attachment was saved (in the case the mht file) it saved it with the filename of 'part01.bin' as a text file not in the original format it was sent as.

The other test was a self-contained html file with no images which was named the same 'part01.bin' (i deleted this one before trying it again..hence both having the same name..it's assumed the numbering would be sequential with each new upload/attachment incrementing its self by one).

When files uploaded using gmail drive are deleted (in gmail drive) they get sent to the trash folder in your gmail account where they are still accessible from gmail but not your virtual drive.

okay who wants a gmail invite?

If i check my other account i bet i'll find 6 more for a total of twelve..the first two i mentioned earlier are gone now..but I know I have six presently so who wants one?

email me at spaceghost.m3thos@gmail.com if you would like an invite.
I'll give away two per person.

tim
2004-10-16, 23:01
just found out u can sell these bastards on ebay..so fuck all of u anyway!

lol ;) :p :D

nanook
2004-10-17, 08:28
just found out u can sell these bastards on ebay..

I can believe that.

*edit* Yo, Tim, I just noticed your av title. Interesting. Is it a play on the word, "rare", indeed?

tim
2004-10-17, 15:41
I can believe that.

*edit* Yo, Tim, I just noticed your av title. Interesting. Is it a play on the word, "rare", indeed?

yes it is...just a joke.
and I'm kidding about not giving these away to anyone who satisfies the criteria of giving me an email addy..normally people pm you with their email addy's rather than posting them publically to avoid spambots..but for some reason pm's aren't working for me at the moment.

slx
2004-10-28, 01:34
thank you very very much