View Full Version : What happens when?

nanook
2004-09-24, 13:02
A good friend shares an application cd with you, giving you the serial, you apply it and need to apply it again, but it won't go through with that same serial number?

Dollar_Girl
2004-09-24, 14:15
i dont know :drunk: :hippie:

The Passion
2004-09-24, 21:11
run, the software police are on the way right now...

eclectica
2004-09-25, 01:16
Some applications require online product activation so you can't share a copy with a friend. :sad: There's not much you can do about that unless you get a cracked version or you have some way around similar to what is explained here (.http://www.3-3-3.org/forum/showthread.php?t=475) for Norton Antivirus 2004 product activation. Others check automatically for updates and when they do so they may find that the serial is blacklisted, in which case you would be FCKGWed. You may avoid those latter problem ones if you disable checking automatically for updates, if it is an option in the settings.

What's the app you need?

nanook
2004-09-25, 10:37
Well, on the advice of Slx, I wanted to do a clean install of Windows XP, Pro.
I got the copy from a friend, with the product key, but it won't allow me to do it again. Am I trully fucked?

eclectica
2004-09-25, 16:48
You're using the same copy you had before and now it doesn't work? Maybe you have to format your hard drive first. What kind of error message did you get and at what stage in the process did it happen?

nanook
2004-09-26, 11:23
You're using the same copy you had before and now it doesn't work? Maybe you have to format your hard drive first. What kind of error message did you get and at what stage in the process did it happen?

Yes. The same copy. There isn't really an error message. Everything goes fine until they ask me to input the serial code. When I do, then it says that it is not valid. As to my harddrive, I don't know. I haven't reformatted before. I wanted to get the bigger harddrive and some more ram. Then thought about what Slx said, about moving all my savable stuff to storage, before doing the reformat and clean install.

eclectica
2004-09-26, 15:11
You have a copy of XP and you're installing XP onto the computer again? I'm not sure how it does it and if it gives you an option to format. Maybe what you want it to do is have it boot into the CD drive first instead of the hard drive in your BIOS setup and see if that makes it work. Do you have a floppy drive? You can get some kind of boot disc and have it format your hard drive that way.

You connect to the internet by way of another computer?

nanook
2004-09-27, 09:16
You have a copy of XP and you're installing XP onto the computer again? I'm not sure how it does it and if it gives you an option to format. Maybe what you want it to do is have it boot into the CD drive first instead of the hard drive in your BIOS setup and see if that makes it work. Do you have a floppy drive? You can get some kind of boot disc and have it format your hard drive that way.

You connect to the internet by way of another computer?

I don't understand the last part of your post. What do you mean "another computer"?

Just your cheapy computer that is running out of space, somewhere. I was told to get a bigger harddrive and some more ram. Slx, recommended, just gathering up the stuff I want to save, storing it and do a clean re-install of XP. The cd is a copy and it just goes through the regular set-up, only when asked for the serial code, it won't accept it. It's as though they know it is copy and not the original.

eclectica
2004-09-27, 11:39
When you install XP it must not really be a clean install if it knows that your product key is blacklisted. Maybe if you restart the computer by booting into the CDROM with the CD there, then it really would be a clean install. You must be getting some notice from Windows that there is already a version installed. What options does it give you at that point?

I figure you could format your hard drive using some kind of boot disc so that it won't know that the product key is blacklisted. Once you do so you will be on your own and no one here can help you. You'll be like an astronaut going on a space walk by yourself on the far side of the moon out of radio contact from Earth. Are you up for the adventure?
:abduct:

One thing you ought to learn how to to do is get into your BIOS and see what the bootup order is when you start the computer. For Compaq that should mean holding down the F10 when booting up. If it is A, CDROM, C that would be ideal because you can have it boot to the CDROM by having a CD there without having to change any settings in the BIOS.

How to make your own bootup disc:
1.Double click "My Computer" or click START > "My Computer"
2.Right click on A: drive with a writable floppy disk inserted.
3.In the format options select the check box "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".

I hope that works

Is it disc or is it disk?

slx
2004-09-28, 06:58
are you tring to install xp home or xp pro....i'd never install without 1st formatting the drive....you'll have all kind of buggers

did you buy a new drive and get it up & running b4 you started trying to re-install xp

if you still have probs...i can send you a xp pro cd that doesn't require you to enter a serial number to install

slx
2004-09-28, 07:01
run, the software police are on the way right now...lol...he's being a clown raar

just keep the blinds closed & the door lock'd dude & you'll be safe

Criminal_Sniper
2004-10-07, 01:18
try fdisk
google it
ive used it and modified versions
works great for formatting ur drive
linux or windozzze
i find its best if u are going to multi boot
there would only be one reason i can see for it not taking ur code
its got something in the registration because u have not formatted
and xp cd gives u the option in the installer but i think fdisk is not OS bias like microsofty (seems contradictory yes but i have seen better not simply critisism without means to an end)
hope that helps a little :)
raar where u at?
and everyone else for that matter
ceot Tim i know he is not worth giving two shits about today
till he gets over his game playing and need to win

nanook
2004-10-07, 13:09
are you tring to install xp home or xp pro....i'd never install without 1st formatting the drive....you'll have all kind of buggers

did you buy a new drive and get it up & running b4 you started trying to re-install xp

if you still have probs...i can send you a xp pro cd that doesn't require you to enter a serial number to install

It's XP Pro. The harddrive is ordered, (and some new powerful ass speakers) and I'll go get the ram myself, at Staples or something. Me thinks it is on sale. Actually, I had some of my basic games disappear, and was trying to use the disc to re-install them, when I realized I couldn't use it anymore.
I am awaiting the magical disc, Slx. Then I can get back in here and use you guys help.
And, Eclectica, that's some good info, I know nothing about. lol. Will probably need it when I get everything in my hands and ready to format.
Thanks you guys.

nanook
2004-10-07, 13:10
i dont know :drunk: :hippie:

Isn't she cute. Even when she doesn't know. lol. Thanks for the input though, doll.

Criminal_Sniper
2004-10-08, 08:02
a responce is better than none

nanook
2004-10-08, 12:28
a responce is better than none

Exactly!

slx
2004-10-10, 00:51
I am awaiting the magical disc, Slx. i sent it last week...give it a week as i recall it takes a while to get across the border

if you don't have it say by the 15th tell me and i'll xpress one...i have several copies here

an option b4 xp installs is to format your disk...it's almost like falling down a hill

or however that quip goes

don't forget to let me know if you don't get it...i won't remember it after i leave this forum...the best way to get my attention is to e-mail me

nanook
2004-10-14, 12:34
Hey, Slx, I sometimes forget to check the other boards, I'll let you know.
Thanks!

tim
2004-10-14, 21:54
Hey, Slx, I sometimes forget to check the other boards, I'll let you know.
Thanks!

other boards?
the plot thickens.
somebody write to me and let me know how this ends.

ciao

nanook
2004-10-15, 12:06
other boards?
the plot thickens.
somebody write to me and let me know how this ends.

ciao

I mean the p2p, computer, warez boards on this forum. I usually just go to the main forum.

tim
2004-10-15, 17:02
oh I see. :D :daking:

slx
2004-10-17, 05:10
raar...did ec give you a key to the elite board yet...if not i'll get you in....

ck your mail if you don't have access already

nanook
2004-10-17, 09:07
It's all good, slx, dude. Thanks. Catch me in pm.

tim
2004-10-17, 15:00
raar...did ec give you a key to the elite board yet...if not i'll get you in....

ck your mail if you don't have access already

we have elite boards here?
at least tell me what I'm missing out on that way you'll enjoy the exclusionist policies more.