View Full Version : This is awful

mekajinn
2004-06-17, 15:47
i am currently seeking confirmation that they got them out alive =|

eclectica
2004-06-18, 11:21
Who took that picture? That looks like a subway grating. Yet I know in Britain that your subways are buried deep underground so you don't have those gratings. In New York they dug up the street to put in the subways, so basically the street is on the roof of the subway tunnel.

It must be a slow news day.

Dollar_Girl
2004-06-18, 12:26
thats slightly funny... but indeed, tragic.

i remember as a kid, at the local creek, we used to go play with ducklings, then my mother told me that if i touch a duckling, the mother wont recognise the scent anymore and will disown it. I dont know if that's true,i dont know if ducks recognise each other by scent or sound, but it made me sad for a while... coz we jsut wanted to watch them swin around in the bucket of water we had, not get disowned and create broken families.

mekajinn
2004-06-18, 13:23
thats slightly funny... but indeed, tragic.

i remember as a kid, at the local creek, we used to go play with ducklings, then my mother told me that if i touch a duckling, the mother wont recognise the scent anymore and will disown it. I dont know if that's true,i dont know if ducks recognise each other by scent or sound, but it made me sad for a while... coz we jsut wanted to watch them swin around in the bucket of water we had, not get disowned and create broken families.

i'm afraid ur mum is wrong... ducks recognise by sight... and once the image of the mother is 'imprinted' on the duckling they will follow her wherever she goes. If you do a search for the work of the psychologist Konrad Lorenz you should get some info on it... i think he studied geese, but i believe it is the same for all medium to large aquatic fowl.