View Full Version : Maybe you guys can help me out..

vacantmind
2004-04-24, 09:53
I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted at another tech site..

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

Type: Error
Source: DCOM
EventID: 10005

I get that A LOT. The majority of my errors are from this and I want to know what it is and how to fix it. I looked ALL over hte place, microsoft seemed to think it had something to do with IIS but I don't have that installed. I tried translated sites from google, russian to english, and all I got out of it was that I think he did a windows restore.

I have all my patches right now, Windows XP SP1. I'm not running too many applications, just AIM and Opera pretty much, I have my antivirus (AVG) disabled right now and my firewall (kerio).

Even as I type this more errors have popped up on the event viewer.

Someone pleaseee help

eclectica
2004-04-24, 14:46
It sounds like you're running some kind of Microsoft server that is giving you problems. A lot of information comes up when doing a search for some of the terms you mentioned. At Microsoft this one comes up:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300319

Maybe you need to get the latest patch for whatever Microsoft server you are running, or it is just an issue they haven't fixed. Are you running something called "Microsoft Operations Manager 2000"?

vacantmind
2004-04-24, 19:18
I'm not running any kind of server, thanks for the reply though.

eclectica
2004-04-25, 05:14
Sometimes Microsoft comes with servers running by default on the computer. I recall finding that out when I discovered by monitoring my TCP/IP activity, that a program was listening on port 5000 of my computer. I was worried it was a trojan, but it turned out to be a server which runs called SSDPSRV that is used for plug & play. Some of those servers which are turned on by default have security vulnerabilities which have been discovered later. See this Microsoft warning:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=826382

You can change the services running on your computer by going to Start--> Programs--> Administrative Tools--> Services. To disable a service there, edit the properties and change the Startup type to "disabled".

Make sure you've gotten the latest critical patches from Windows Update (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp).

Criminal_Sniper
2004-04-25, 17:38
iss dosent come with home and dosent get installed straight up in pro
u need to install from the cd after installation
-something u would remember and do for a purpose
(it sucks bad in anycase)
StiSvc - find out what that service is see what u can do about it

Process File: stisvc or stisvc.exe
Process Name: Still Image Service
Description: Still Image Service, which handles scanners and digital cameras and is installed by Windows if a scanner or camera is connected to the computer. This is the equivalent of STIMON.exe, but for Windows 2000 and XP.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: No
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
Common Errors: N/A

hope that helps

Criminal_Sniper
2004-04-25, 17:41
AND HOLY FUCKING HELL MICROSOFT IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
they cant even decide on what thier proccesses are lmao
shows they are more worried about linux, money and other things than actually running an efficient operating system
1 of 10 web pages almost crashes my browser
neighbourhood network doesnt work as ive said before
of all the proccesses and services i have running sometimes half if that are being used
the list continues.......

vacantmind
2004-04-26, 04:31
Yea I just diabled the rest of my COM+'s, don't care anymore I'm not going to deal with teh bullshit.