View Full Version : The RIAA And Me

Beejus
2004-03-16, 00:06
This is NOT new I just felt like posting this because my IP is the same as it was when I first go caught...

----- Original Message -----
To: ptcme@ptc-me.net
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 3:56 PM
Subject: unauthorized music site

VIA E-MAIL

August 21, 2002

Pine Tree Cable Vision
400 East Lancaster Avenue
Suite 233
Wayne, PA 19087

RE: IRC Bot at 65.161.94.67

I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and its member record companies. The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create, manufacture and distribute approximately ninety (90) percent of all legitimate sound recordings sold in the United States. Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies in matters involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet.

We believe your service is hosting the above-referenced site on its system. This site, which we accessed on 8/16/02 at 1:53 p.m. (EDT), offers, via an IRC Channel Bot, songs from such artists as Nelly, Linkin Park, Nas, Mary J Blige, and Smif n' Wesson. These recordings are owned by one of our member companies and we have a good faith belief that the above-described activity is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. We assert that the information in this notification is accurate, based upon the data available to us.

We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity. Specifically, we request that you remove the site, delete the infringing sound files or that you disable access to this site or the infringing files being offered via your system. In addition, please inform the site operator of the illegality of his or her conduct and confirm with the RIAA, in writing, that this activity has ceased.

You should understand that this letter constitutes notice to you that this site operator may be liable for the infringing activity occurring on your service. In addition, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you ignore this notice, you and/or your company may also be liable for any resulting infringement. This letter does not constitute a waiver of any right to recover damages incurred by virtue of any such unauthorized activities, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are expressly retained.

You may contact me at RIAA, 1330 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 300, Washington, D.C., 20036, Tel. (202) 775-0101, or e-mail antipiracy@riaa.com, to discuss this notice. We await your response.

Sincerely,
Richard Bulman
Paralegal, Anti-Piracy
RIAA

I remember back on [dot]org when they almost didn't let me become a member (besides from thinking I was a troll from .net) because I had been caught by the RIAA back in the day and they saw me as a "security issue" ...and then they were worried since my story was played on TechTV that I would generate too much attention and that they would find out about [dot]org and their illegal ways somehow...
:beer: :beer: :beer:

eclectica
2004-03-16, 01:45
Originally posted by Beejus
I remember back on [dot]org when they almost didn't let me become a member (besides from thinking I was a troll from .net) because I had been caught by the RIAA back in the day and they saw me as a "security issue" ...and then they were worried since my story was played on TechTV that I would generate too much attention and that they would find out about [dot]org and their illegal ways somehow
the coward dies a thousand deaths
:coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward: :coward:

How often does your IP address change? I am on ADSL and I get a new IP address every week or so.

Beejus
2004-03-16, 19:29
Originally posted by eclectica
How often does your IP address change? I am on ADSL and I get a new IP address every week or so.

I have cable modem internet access but I gotta connect via PPPoE (I use the built in WindowsXP one....WinPoet sucks balls btw) so everytime I connect my IP is different... I disconnect usually at the end of the day, sometimes after a few days...then my IP changes

this is ALL NEWS to me..i had no idea beej..is the story still up (linked to) on techtv?

I e-mailed Megan@techtv.com nearly 2 years ago now during the time when The Screen Savers was running their p2p piracy/RIAA segments and in the e-mail (I believe I have archived somewhere on my computer, not sure though) I gave her a "teaser" from the RIAA letter I recieved via e-mail and asked "do you want to hear the rest?" and in a day or 2 I got a reply back saying "yes, please tell me all about it" so I pasted the entire e-mail, and told her my side of the story, I got an e-mail back again saying "thank you for your story" and other things about how it's becoming an epidemic and then she mentioned how it will "be made reference to"... However, I never say any headline of "15 year old boy caught by RIAA" ....but now you see it everyday, which pisses me off because I was one of the beginning threats...oh well.. so anywho, if there is a story about it, I dunno where it is, so I'm just gonna say "no" to the whole "linked to" story... (does Megan even work for TechTV anymore? I stopped watching after they changed the sets around and made it more "professional")

and how have things been for you since receiving this notice?

any problems?

Well, after that had happened my dad severely bitched me out and made me get rid of my music collection...which at the time was nearly 1,000 so I was pretty pissed. But after it all died down, I left the IRC scene (I was at one point a dump access site) as a "giver" and became a "taker" or better known as a "leacher"... Also my ISP began charging me an extra 10$ for every 1gig of bandwith I took up every month (on top of the 55$ monthly fee)

Anywho, that was the last time I had recieved anything by the RIAA. So with the "threat" gone... I rebuilt my collection :) and now I'm at 12,105 mp3's (I would have more, but I deleted the ones I didn't like anymore to make room for new material...I'm out of HDD space....d'oh)

The only "problem" I've had is losing most of my good hook ups because I left the IRC scene for so long and people move all around to "hide" themselves from these agencies...so I dunno where they are anymore... but other than that, nothing...but I do know I'm shitlisted so I probably can't ever go back to IRC as a server bot with this ISP without facing heavy penalties..