View Full Version : Phenomenal Woman

eclectica
2004-02-25, 23:51
The following is an assignment my wife did for her school. She is working to get her Master's degree in Public Health.

Phenomenal Woman
by Maya Angelou

Pretty Women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a model's fashion size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my steps
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please
And to a man
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees
Then they swarm around me
A hive of honey bees.
I say
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth
The swing of my waist
And the Joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Since receiving this assignment, I have been in agony because I dread anything asking about my community. I am an international “army brat” and my family is considered multicultural. I wrote a whole assignment about the issue of having no roots and feeling like a “citizen of the World”. Then, I read that paper and found it to be too whiny. I discussed it with one of my classmates who happens to be a Muslim with a Chinese father and a Black-Indian mother. I decided at that moment that she was more entitled to talk about multicultural issues and I wanted to write something uplifting and optimistic. Therefore, I chose Maya Angelou’s “Phenomenal Woman”.

Choosing this poem did not make matters related to this assignment that much easier because it forces me to revisit unpleasant memories of not fitting in. However, I wanted to present the positive parts of this issue. Not fitting in can be a blessing once one grows up and understands life a little better but as a child and later a teenager it is a curse. I grew up being taller than everybody else in my age group and gender sometimes even taller than some older boys were. Besides being awkwardly tall and skinny, I was neither cute nor adorable. I was a withdrawn child and due to my family background, I was always the “new kid on the block” with the strange accent. These factors combined did not help make me confident. I was what my sister calls an obnoxious “tomboy”.

As I grew up, one would think that my height would have served some purpose besides making me the designated helper in class whenever some heavy lifting was needed, but it did not. I never came out of the awkward phase. While other girls my age were getting breasts and hips, I remained flat as an ironing board until age 16, when two invisible olives showed up in place of the voluptuous breasts I was awaiting. My hips stayed the same as when I was 7 years old and my body never reached the gracious stage it is supposed to reach after the teenage years. To make matters a little better, my brothers nicknamed me “ironing board”, “zipper”, “fille-garcon” which means “girl-boy” in French etc. And let me just say that they were not shy about using these lovely nicknames in public.

By the time I reached my early twenties, the olives had become lemons and later oranges but they were still not what one would call voluptuous. I grew up in West Africa until age twenty when I moved to Europe. West Africa is not a haven for skinny tall girls who are neither cute enough to be models or strong enough to be athlete, and even if they had one of these two elements, they would not be popular in this part of the world. In West Africa, the norm is chunky with a thick rear end and legs. They are not interested in mammal glands. This is to say that I was out of luck. Let us just say that I did not turn many heads.

When I moved to France, things changed. I had spent my summers in France when I was growing up but I never lived there until I was 20. Living in France created an epiphany for me. I realized that people around the world had different opinions of what was attractive. They actually liked tall girls in France and they favored chicken legs and ironing board hips. They did not think that my large shoulders made me look like a World Wide Federation wrestler. Well, at least not everybody thought so, I do recall that someone in College in Valenciennes said that I looked like a rugby player. In my new gained confidence, I decided to ignore him. France was heaven. I could be slightly popular here, why didn’t I move here earlier?

Something else happened in France that I did not notice in the past, West African men were interested in me! I was shocked and I started realizing that people were actually attracted to what I projected not necessarily what I looked like. I must have projected the “WWF wrestler with ironing board curves” image to most people and that is why I did not believe that I was interesting. Gaining a little bit more confidence made me more attractive. I was still a little skeptical as to why some men were attracted to me. This is where Maya Angelou comes into play. Her poem although not describing me to the “T” is talking about women like me. Women who do not fit in any specific criteria of beauty but are still attractive. Women who have been told “it’s too bad that you do not have this because you would have been this…and that…”. That is the group I belong to. Yes I could have been a model if I was more cuter and in better shape, I could have been an athlete if I was more fit, I could have been many things if I many things were into place, but I am me, no “ifs” necessary. I am me and I like being me and I am still attractive to many people. If somebody does not understand, they would never understand it. It is a certain "je ne sais quoi” that just makes me phenomenal. In French, they call it “avoir du chien” (literally to have dog but means to have charm) and when people told me things I cannot understand why this person is attracted to you, I not only found it incredibly cruel of them but I also told them that it was “my dog” working its magic. “My dog” is made of charm, intelligence, humour, as Maya says it must be in the click of my heels, the bend of my hair, the palm of my hand, the need for my care.

What can I say? I am a phenomenal multicultural woman, mother, student and professional. That is my community. The community of not only phenomenal women, but just phenomenal people whose uniqueness tends to be visible to everybody but only understood by other phenomenal people. Moreover, just if someone is interested this is neither a low self-esteem manifesto nor a show of arrogance but a much needed and awaited confidence manifesto.

Dollar_Girl
2004-02-26, 01:17
i really like that.

Appreciating being a woman takes alot of time... it's a very personal journey because during this journey, your fighting a war of what u should be, what u could be, what u aren't and what u will never be.

Highschool was a strange place, because i wasn't a standard 40 kilo girl (what is that, like 80 pounds? 75?) like in the magazines, i wasn't blonde and i didn't like taking sewing lessons. I failed sewing. I can't sew. I was just the weird european girl with a big rump, big boobs, wide hips and tall stature, who hung around the 'anorexic gothic girl' and 'the aboriginal'. There were alot of europeans in my school but they were all yugosalvs who were blonde, skinny and perky with really REALLY tight pants. I wore big baggy black jeans the entire 5 years of highschool, because i was too embarassed of my big bum not looking good in sprayed on pants.

These days i find it empowering to know my arse jiggles when i walk out in a tightly fitted red skirt... i like it... i mean, why not? i got thick thighs, jiggly bum, D cup boobs and curvy hips.. my body does a dance of its own when i walk, and that's all good. I havn't worn my big baggy black pants since i left highschool. I realised there was no single standard of beauty, but sometimes i still wish i was different. Maybe my confidence comes and goes, but maybe so does everyone elses.

reminds me of a india arie tune ...

Sometimes I shave my legs and sometimes I don't
Sometimes I comb my hair and sometimes I won't
Depend on how the wind blows I might even paint my toes
It really just depends on whatever feels good in my soul

I'm not the average girl from your video
and I ain't built like a supermodel
But, I learned to love myself unconditionally
Because I am a queen
I'm not the average girl from your video
My worth is not determined by the price of my clothes
No matter what I'm wearing I will always be India Arie

When I look in the mirror and the only one there is me
Every freckle on my face is where it's supposed to be
And I know my creator didn't make no mistakes on me
My feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes; I'm lovin' what I see

slx
2004-02-26, 01:41
Originally posted by Dollar_Girl
It really just depends on whatever feels good in my soul

nicobie
2004-02-26, 01:49
Originally posted by Dollar_Girl
i really like that.

Appreciating being a woman takes alot of time...

These days i find it empowering to know my arse jiggles when i walk out in a tightly fitted red skirt... i like it... i mean, why not? i got thick thighs, jiggly bum, D cup boobs and curvy hips.. my body does a dance of its own when i walk, and that's all good.

I realised there was no single standard of beauty, but sometimes i still wish i was different. Maybe my confidence comes and goes, but maybe so does everyone elses.

Sometimes I wish i wasn't such a ass, but never have i regretted myself.

I think u are ok $. and I think i am too.

so,

...........heck with 'em dillweeds ;)

L o L's

nicobie
2004-02-28, 03:05
However, just 'cause your boobs are bouncy does not give u a licence to hurt either. It is hard to be ok looking.

Dollar_Girl
2004-02-28, 08:21
Originally posted by nicobie
Sometimes I wish i wasn't such a ass, but never have i regretted myself.

I think u are ok $. and I think i am too.

so,

...........heck with 'em dillweeds ;)

L o L's

i feel like u could be my sista :eatout: :D L o L's

nicobie
2004-02-29, 01:19
I know..~

I think so too.

:bluefish:

Criminal_Sniper
2004-03-25, 00:04
nothin like a girl with some booty :banana: :cheers: prost!
those assless girls dont ride porperly
more cushion for the pushin
ima shut up now
wait french girls are nice und surrender easily :D

Dollar_Girl
2004-03-25, 13:37
nothin like a girl with some booty :banana: :cheers: prost!
those assless girls dont ride porperly
more cushion for the pushin
ima shut up now
wait french girls are nice und surrender easily :D

more cushion for the pushin lol :D

Criminal_Sniper
2004-03-25, 14:43
well not too much
im not into huge girls argh
my friend goes only for real big girls
no offence to them but i like a girl to not weigh more than me though ive lost weight so at least up to my weight
his girls are always 2 times the size him being nearly 100 KG
im not into that kinda thing at all
i like curves not rolls

eclectica
2005-02-06, 18:44
Here's a poem that someone at my wife's work wrote. There are some people at my wife's work who have found new meaning in life and a positive outlook despite having been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. Her program gives people hope. Her Bondala organization released their first newsletter which I read and they did a good job on. I am proud of her for what she has done and for the positive impact she has had on the lives of people with her program.

I AM A BLACK WOMAN
by Lorraine Burt

No I am not the lightest and the brightest of my descent
I am the one whose skin is as dark as the semi dark
chocolate that you may crave for in the middle of the
night, that satisfies your desire of wanting something
sweet to eat

No my hair ain't flowing all down my back
it sits short on my head resembling a crown inherited
for my beauty

No my butt does not line up evenly with my back
instead it protrudes out quite far and even reminds
you of a lower case "d" with legs

No my lips ain't shaped like a pencil drawn across a piece
of paper, though a magic marker drawn out three times
parallel may best describe them

No I do not have the pronunciation of a Harvard student
English major, in fact my speech is of one who may
have migrated from the south to unite
with her brothers and sistahs in Harlem

No my eyes ain't as blue as two Olympic pools, they
are as dark as the precious black pearl that you
may find in the jewelry store of the sea

No my nose ain't as long as a dividing line on a highway
it is wide and has a round-about-way of getting to the
point!

I am the one who endures the struggle of this vain society

who rises up when her beauty is played down

I am a black woman
a black woman
Don't you recognize me?

I am a black woman

I am the beauty of my God's creation

one of a kind

not to be replicated
or duplicated

And therefore I guess it just doesn't matter

if you do or if you don't acknowledge me

for I recognize the beauty of who I am

I am a black woman!

slx
2005-02-06, 22:19
she has a few issues......unresolved, that she didn't put in verse

she hasn't made it yet

eclectica
2005-02-07, 03:50
she has a few issues......unresolved, that she didn't put in verse

she hasn't made it yet

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I think you mean that she tries too hard to feel good about herself, and in doing so she has not found an inner peace yet.

I wonder if an inner peace is anything to speak of objectively, because the only way one knows whether someone has it is by exterior means. So if a woman finds her inner peace and no longer feels the need to announce to the World how happy and self confident she is, does that mean she has found an inner peace or that she has lost her communication abilities?

Criminal_Sniper
2005-02-12, 18:05
inner peace is the same as enternal peace
it is peace with what is
not what was and may be

because in truth there isnt a difference between
self and other
inside and outside
at the level of peace they are one and the same

to live is to suffer get used to it
suffering is then longer a factor

funny shit i know