View Full Version : grandfather paradox

tim
2003-12-05, 16:27

eclectica
2003-12-05, 18:11
Time is not a fourth dimension. It is the summary of motion in the three dimensions. If all motion in the three dimensions stops, then time stops. That happens at the absolutely zero temperature. Traveling back or forward in time is impossible, because it is not a medium which supports travel, and it's not a dimension.

With enough information, anything can be predicted. We believe that flipping a coin is a random act because we don't have enough information to determine the outcome. What we call "randomness" is actually a lack of information. The environment of a computer is controlled and predictable. That is why it is not possible for a computer to randomly do anything, such as randomly generate numbers.

Dollar_Girl
2003-12-08, 00:10
changing the past wont' necessarily mean changing the present, for the present already exists, the ball is rolling. Perhaps changing the past would mean creating a new strand of a future present :beer:

I dont like what eclectica wrote :beer: His language is too absolute, contributing to a topic that is still so mysterious and undefined. :beer: I like confident language, it represents an opinion and still doesnt' rule out doubt.

eclectica
2003-12-08, 10:11
Originally posted by Dollar_Girl
I dont like what eclectica wrote :beer: His language is too absolute, contributing to a topic that is still so mysterious and undefined. :beer: I like confident language, it represents an opinion and still doesnt' rule out doubt.
You mean I should have put "I think" or "in my opinion". Well I didn't mean to speak factually, since those were just my opinions too. Sometimes I purposefully avoid those phrases because it becomes redundant to say "in my opinion", when it seems obvious that it is my opinion.

I believe a lot of the contemporary physicists are foolish to believe that they've mostly figured out the way the universe works in the 20th century. A good number of them believe that within our lifetimes, the Grand Unified theory will be discovered, and it will be the end of physics. So many things are still a mystery, such as gravity, time, and the origin of the universe.

Dollar_Girl
2003-12-08, 10:43
Originally posted by eclectica
You mean I should have put "I think" or "in my opinion". Well I didn't mean to speak factually, since those were just my opinions too. Sometimes I purposefully avoid those phrases because it becomes redundant to say "in my opinion", when it seems obvious that it is my opinion.

I believe a lot of the contemporary physicists are foolish to believe that they've mostly figured out the way the universe works in the 20th century. A good number of them believe that within our lifetimes, the Grand Unified theory will be discovered, and it will be the end of physics. So many things are still a mystery, such as gravity, time, and the origin of the universe.

no i dont think u should have put "i think" etc... like i said, i like confident writting, and "i think" is not confident, but more or less a safe guard for doubt and any incorrections. I enjoy confident writting, and i full well know it is your opinion and not a 40 year scientific research conclusion, but while "i think" leaves too much room for doubt "impossible" leaves none. :eatout:

I dont believe the secrets of the universe will ever be understood.
While we want to observe so called "advanced" alien life forms, these 'advanced' creatures perhaps also want to observe us... no matter how advanced, creatures of intellect will never run short on things to observe. :director:

eclectica
2003-12-08, 10:57
The idea that if there were aliens in outer space, that they would want to interact with us, is wrong, unless they are at the same level. If they are advanced beyond us, then there will be no need for them to interact with us. We wouldn't be interested in interacting and socializing with a group of ants.

Dollar_Girl
2003-12-08, 12:07
perhaps you are taking the intellectual gap a bit toooooooooo far there chappy :beer:

mekajinn
2003-12-08, 13:29
the only aliens that would be likely to be aware of us would be those within 100 light years or so, seeing as humans only invented radio then. Anything else would be a chance encounter, which given the size of the universe is exceedingly unlikely.

Anyway, mathematically we don't exist... given that there are an infinate number of planets out there, and there can only be life on a finite number leads to the equation of a finite number divided by infinity... which equals 0.0000 recurring to infinity... therefore we are figments of our own imagination... or something... i think...

and who cares what other people's opinions are... if u 'think' then saying I 'think' is perfectly acceptable no?

mek again
2003-12-08, 14:04
also... if u could drive ur car at the speed of light and someone crossed the road in front of u, u would run them over and they wouldn't even see u coming...

i thought of that the other day whilst going 20mph through town... which means i wasn't concentrating... so i must be a bad driver =/

eclectica
2004-01-03, 20:20
I was running through Prospect park in Brooklyn, taking advantage of the warm weather.
:tune: "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" :tune:
I was thinking about how short people have an advantage when it comes to doing pushups because they weigh less, and their arms have less distance to fully extend. Then I thought about how a person who is proportioned exactly the same as me, but is half the height, should weigh one eighth as much. That is because there are three dimensions, and it is half in all three of them. Two to the third power is eight.

eureka!

That is the proof that there are only three dimensions. Say I take a 10 centimeter cube container. That is one liter. Now a 20 centimeter cube is eight liters. It is eight times as massive. If there were other dimensions then it would be more than an eightfold difference. Someone might want to argue that there are other dimensions, but our world is only three-dimensional. Okay, so we know that within our three-dimensional world, there are no two-dimensional or one-dimensional objects, except in mathematical theory. So why would in a 9-dimensional world, would not all objects be 9-dimensional? I don't believe that there could be such a thing as 3-dimensional objects within a 9-dimensional world.

Superstring theory (http://superstringtheory.com/basics/basic4.html) suggests that there are six miniature dimensions in addition to the three that we know. I believe that if there are additional dimensions, then they would be equal to the ones we know. There are no "miniature dimensions", as there really is no difference between length, width, or height in abilities or size. All dimensions must be equal.

Theories such as superstring theory are created by overzealous people who would like to see in their lifetimes the secrets of the Universe unlocked, and believe that they are capable of doing so with a Grand Unified Theory (http://www.hep.yorku.ca/yhep/gut.html). In actuality these theories are a fudging so that the contradictions of varying equations are resolved. When equations predict something that isn't true, then they create another law or theory to explain the discrepancy. Why not add some extra dimensions or some dark matter into the Universe so that everything balances out on paper?