View Full Version : DSL filters

eclectica
2003-08-23, 20:29
DSL works by setting aside the higher frequencies for data, and the lower frequencies for regular voice conversations. High frequencies have the smallest wavelength, and can carry the most data. Normal conversations are in the low frequency range. One can use a single phone line for both the internet and regular phone calls at the same time. All phones on a DSL line have to be put through filters that separates out the high frequencies, whenever the DSL modem is powered on. The sound quality is pretty good, though slightly muffled, but sometimes it is hard to differentiate between whether someone is saying C or T, or any part of the language that needs the high frequencies.

Underneath my desk there is a big maze of wires which has three power strips, ethernet cables, USB cables, and phone lines. I just discovered that the DSL filter itself is especially susceptible to noise, so that if you have it right on top of an AC charger, you will get a buzzing noise in your phone. The rest of the phone cord wasn't affected by the AC charger; just the DSL filter was.

Criminal_Sniper
2003-09-12, 04:37
:p wierd
just got some of those actually

Criminal_Sniper
2003-09-12, 04:38
*looks at big maze of wires desk*

:rolleyes: i know i know

eclectica
2003-09-12, 08:00
Originally posted by Criminal_Sniper
just got some of those actually
Are you actually getting DSL, or did you just get them to pretend that you have broadband?

Criminal_Sniper
2003-09-12, 16:02
nah ive got broadband now :) finally :p

eclectica
2003-09-12, 16:22
What are your speeds? My theoretical speeds are 1500 kbits/s down and 128 kbits/s up, but I get in reality maybe 80% of that.

Criminal_Sniper
2003-09-12, 17:18
lol ur a leech thats funny lol
but mine faster but not fast only 256\64
hey i was 56k so u can imagine 25k and i get it all and more usually 30+ in kazaa but soulseek its always depending on them

eclectica
2004-06-20, 16:18
Sometimes my ADSL modem resets itself and I lose the internet connection temporarily. Two things cause it to happen. One seems to be whenever I click on certain web pages, and that causes it to get knocked out. Another time it resets is occasionally, but not all the time when I use the phone. Troubleshooting for that, I tried changing the DSL filter. Maybe some filters work better than others. When I pick up the phone I hear static for a second and then it stops. I wonder if DSL filters don't work instantaneously in the first second of using a phone. Also, when the phone rings the line voltages change and that may affect things. I was reading on other websites that another thing I could do is have a splitter set up so that right where the line enters the house, there is one DSL filter and it is split between voice phone lines and DSL modem, rather than having a DSL filter on each phone. One site somewhere said that you shouldn't have more than five or six phones with DSL filters at home, because it affects the DSL. Currently I have six filters hooked up to my phone line. I could easily set up a splitter because all my phone jacks are set up for two lines. The first line could be run from the DSL filter and the second line could be unfiltered for the DSL modem.

In regards to the resiliency of uploading on p2p programs, KCeasy is better at resuming transfers than WinMX. If my DSL modem stops working for a few seconds, the KCeasy transfer will be paused and then resume but the WinMX transfer will fail.

eclectica
2004-07-19, 04:43
I reconfigured my phone lines so that one DSL filter worked for all the phones in the house. How I have the line coming into the house is that the raw telephone goes to line 2 in my jacks, which is the yellow and black wires. Then on the network interface jack right where it comes in, I have it hooked to line 1, which is the red and green wires. From there it goes through a DSL filter and then through a modular phone cord to another jack which feeds all the jacks in the house. So I can by connecting or disconnecting from that first network interface jack, turn off all the phones in my house or change my DSL filter for the entire house. Meanwhile the DSL runs as a raw unfiltered signal on line 2. I have a plugin device which switches line 1 and 2. I use it for my DSL modem so that when I plug it in it is actually hooked to line 2 on the red and green wires. That saves me from having to resplice and reconfigure the phone jack.

But I've still been having troubles with the DSL and the phone was getting worse as time went on. I started hearing crackling on my phone while using it too. At first I thought it was the fault of the ISP and their DSL equipment at the central office. My situation is more complicated because my local phone provider Verizon is not the same as my ISP Earthlink. Earthlink told me that the phone screws up the DSL rather than the DSL screwing up the phone. It was getting so that every time I picked up my phone or received a phone call, my DSL modem would go offline for a couple of minutes. I even stopped using p2p filesharing programs for the last couple of weeks, due to the increasing unreliability of my DSL connection.

I called the phone company yesterday, and today a repair person came to put me on a different line in the terminal. After the DSL came back on I found that I have even more speed than I've ever had. All this time I thought I had a download speed of 1500 kbits/s and an upload speed of 128 kbits/s. That is actually about what I was getting for the last two years on my speeds. But I ran some speed tests after the line switch and found myself doing an actual 2040 kbits/s download and 320 kbits/s upload. I think my full theoretical speeds must be then 3000/384. I don't know how long I've been on this plan, but the fact that I only got the benefit of the faster speeds after the local telephone company changed my line indicates to me that line quality could be a big factor in the speed one gets with DSL. I live within a mile of my central office so I ought to get pretty good speeds. Even though you live close to the telephone central office, your line may be several miles longer because it is bridged on and goes further out in the field. If the telephone company has you hooked to such a line, then your speeds won't be as good. While people who live far from their central office know that they can't get high speeds, people who live close may also have the same problem if their line is bridged on to one of those lines that go several miles, which would increase the resistance and signal loss in the wires.

Today is a great day for me because my download speeds doubled and my upload speeds tripled.
:banana:

eclectica
2004-07-20, 13:17
Read Verizon's official announcement of their Fiber To The Premises program here (http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=86053).

I wonder if the company plans to replace its copper network with fiber. Their copper network is decaying and aged. It seems to me that the only way for it to be economical of them to run FTTP would be if they use it to replace the copper. But to do so would involve investment in a lot of equipment which may become outdated after several years. Ultimately a phone will still travel on copper lines, but those copper lines may be limited to the wires inside of a household. There could be a fiber modem coming into the customer's house that has an RJ11 (regular modular phone plug) and an RJ45 (ethernet) port on it. They plan to compete with the cable company so maybe there will be a third coaxial port on the fiber modem as well.

Fiber is delicate and you can't abuse it the way you can with regular copper wires. When it bends it has to take gradual turns rather than having kinks in the cables. I don't see being able to use a staple gun and running it inside a house the way you can with regular phone wire. The equipment and machines to splice it are very expensive and delicate as well.

One advantage the phone has is that it is an independent utitility that works when the power fails. If phone signals travel down fiber cables then that advantage will be lost. Maybe the phone company has to be willing to lose that reliability standard in order to progress into the future and upgrade their network into fiber.

I hear they are going to start deploying it in areas where DSL is not available first, so they don't lose all their landline customers to cell phones and cable modems. But rural areas are always more expensive for phone companies or any other utilities than cities are, because the lines have to travel a further distance per customer.

DarkPhoenix
2005-03-05, 19:43
DSL speeds are directly related to the quality of the line and the distance to the exchange

I'm wondering wheather you originally signed up for a 3MBits/sec package, if that was the case why didn't you realise 1500kbits/sec is only half that

I don't know what effect using one dsl filter would have but i don't see any way for it to negatively affect either telephony or data performance

Also, as far as i know it isn't possible to run dsl over fiber without prohibitively expensive equipment for both the end user and the service provider

eclectica
2005-03-05, 20:59
Back in 2002 I switched to Earthlink and they told me that it was a 1500/384 plan. But when I found my upload speeds were only around 110 kbits per second, I called to complain and they said that they did not guarantee any 384 speed. I stayed with them because what I thought was their 1500/128 speed was better than Verizon's 640/90 speed. After getting my phone fixed by the phone company, then I was able to realize the faster speeds that were probably there all along.

Criminal_Sniper
2005-03-06, 07:53
i have been getting my full speed for months (i think? :p)
not sure how long but it has been full speed
need a big big hdd to make one archive